The Juicy Peach



Today I invite you to take everything you know to be true about yourself—and let it go. Let it go and see what happens. When you give yourself enough distance to see things from a new perspective, you change the way you see yourself. Reclaim your positive truths; re-write the not-so positive ones. Go on, take an honest look...

I let go of this belief about myself long enough for it to come around again, to stay for keeps this time: I am a writer. If the truth were to be told, in letting go, in stopping writing, I discovered that this is who I am. I write. I cannot help but write. I have begun again and now I can’t seem to stop. I don’t want to stop.

Other beliefs I let go of seem to have gone for good—I am unworthy; I am unpretty; I am alone; I hate baking—and have made space for new beliefs. Better ones.

If someone had told me, as recently as six weeks ago, that I would not only fall in love with baking, but be quite good at it, I would have completely dismissed this idea, probably with a doubtful, scoffing half-laugh. Five weeks and six days ago, at the request of my beloved, I baked a pie. Strawberry rhubarb. With a crust made from scratch.  

I fell in love. And I have been making pies ever since—strawberry rhubarb, blueberry and today, peach. In fact, I’ve declared this the “Week of the Juicy Peach” seeing as I went peach-picking this past weekend and am in possession of half a bushel (and then some). And because I think “juicy peach” is a nice way to define new positive and empowering beliefs about myself.

What beliefs about yourself will you release today? What new truths will you explore? What is your juicy peach?

Here is one of my favorite peach recipes (and when I’m finished perfecting peach pie, I’ll post that one, too).

Peach Cornmeal Pancakes

Get this:
1 1/2 C organic, unbleached flour
1/2 C organic yellow cornmeal
1 T organic raw sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 1/2 C buttermilk
2 T sunflower oil
1 T ground flax
2 T hot water
2 medium peaches, peeled and diced into 1/4-inch pieces

Do this:
Lightly coat a large skillet or griddle with cooking spray.

In a small bowl, combine hot water and ground flax. Set aside to allow to thicken.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a medium bowl, combine the buttermilk and oil. Whisk to blend. Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture. Add the thickened flax and water. Stir just until combined. Gently stir in the diced peaches.

Drop about 3 tablespoons of the batter on the skillet for each pancake. Cook over medium heat until golden on the bottom with small bubbles on the top, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and cook until gold on the other side, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately.

P.S. Expand your pancake horizons by adding a dollop of sour cream and then drizzling on the (real) maple syrup. Trust me on this.

P.P.S. You can also let go of the belief that pancakes are a breakfast food. Peach pancakes for dinner is a revelation.




Comments

  1. Mala,
    This recipe sounds so good. Anything with peaches sounds delicious! I liked your idea about casting off what you know to be true about yourself to either test it or discard it and move forward! I, too, learned I loved cooking when I had to take over meal preparation for my mother who could no longer do it. Thanks for this bright post this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, this is one of my absolutely favorite recipes--and now that I have all these fresh peaches, I'm in heaven! Now I'm working on perfecting my peach pie recipe...

      Delete
  2. i love this. not just about the peaches but also about letting go. i'm a fan of both! :)

    although the only thing i've done with peaches is create a peach float i don't have much to share about it. however, here's one of my posts about letting go. hope you allow me to share it here:
    http://baredmysoul.blogspot.com/2013/10/when-to-stop-holding-on-to-people.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Sharing is awesome. Tell us about that peach float. I'm looking to make peach sorbet myself. I was thinking about serving it in tall glasses, bobbing around in natural ginger ale--Ginger Peach Float. I'll let you know how it turns out!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

True Romance

Recipe Schmecipe